If you didn't know, Tuesday is Earth Day, so I listed some of my favorite 'green links' on the left side of the blog. Many of you now about the changes we've made this year trying to lead a more natural, eco-friendly lifestyle. We're not perfect, and we've agreed that if we try something and it doesn't work for us, then we won't do it. You should feel good about the changes your making in your life not like they are a chore. Every little change makes a difference. If everyone made one small change in their daily life the impact on the earth would be huge! Here are some of the changes we've made:Recycling - we recycle office paper, newspaper, magazines, card board, plastic, aluminum, tin, and glass. Unfortunately, we don't have curb side recycling (although I heard KCK might actually get it this year) but I feel very strongly that this one of the best steps we can make. It's amazing how little trash goes into the landfill when you recycle all of these things. On a normal week we only put out one bag of trash. To find a recycling center in your area, visit the earth911.org link under 'green links'.
Energy Saving Light Bulbs - we have changed many of the frequently used lights in our house to energy efficient.
Canvas Shopping Bags - this is by far our favorite change. I get highly annoyed when you buy one item at the store and they automatically put it in a nasty plastic sack. At the very least, I think businesses should ask the customer if they want/need a bag for 1-3 items. We love using our Earth Bags for grocery shopping and the Chico Bags fold up into a small bag and are great to carry in your pocket or purse for those unexpected items. I added links to both websites on the left.
Green Cleaning - we are removing many of the typical household cleaning/laundry supplies and replacing them with earth friendly products. Some of them I have purchased and others I make from common items such as vinegar, backing soda, and dish washing liquid. Not only are they better for the environment, but it's easier on your pocket book....bonus!!
Ditch the plastic water bottles - it's amazing how much waste comes from water bottles. Instead of drinking from plastic water bottles use glasses or my new favorite appendage (it goes with me everywhere) Sigg bottles. They last forever, and come in cool designs! I also added a link for Sigg bottles on the left.
Eat Local - this is our newest addition and still a work in progress. Shop farmers markets or join a CSA in your area. Not only will you get great food that doesn't have to ripen on the truck ride to the store, you get to talk with the people who grow the food. Eating local also helps small farmers stay in business and reduces green house gasses needed to transport the food across the country.
These are just a few of the things we have recently changed in our lives and we love it. Just like investing money in your future, once you make one change and see the progress....it's easy to get addicted. I challenge everyone to choose one small thing in your daily life that would benefit the earth. Make the change for 30 days and you'll see how great the rewards are.
2 comments:
Hello Ladies and little one!
So...today while i'm sick and stuck at home I checked out every green link and did some research of my own. I also watched Oprah which was all green as well. I picked up some things from her as well. I'm going to work on being friendlier to the earth. I will slowly do my part.
I have to say I really like those little Chico bags. They are so cute and they don't take up much room at all. I like things that don't require much space!
Anyway...just thought I would let you know i'm becoming more aware of how I can help our enviornment!
Yeah Norm - I love hearing that people see how easy it really is to make one or two small changes in their life and what a big impact it can have.
- little one wanted to thank you for making his/her future better also!
Post a Comment